Saturday

Knitting in ATCs


I've just finished my first ATC's (Artist Trading Cards.) I signed up for Swap-bot after reading about it somewhere & signed onto a swap for ATC's featuring vintage photos. Had no idea what I was going to do because I'm really not very inspired in a vintage-y way. Came across an envelope of photos of my grandmother as an infant and girl. The same grandmother who taught me to knit & crochet. Then, while cleaning my "studio" (known to my family as the junk room where everything gets thrown) I came across a little knitted swatch I had done using yarn from one of the suits my grandmother had knit for herself in the 50's. It's hard to see here - but it became the background for the ATC. The baby in the picture is my grandmother - no idea who the elegant lady is - but she's got the nose that says "family member"! I feel like the art itself is pretty unskillful - expect it will improve as I become more accustomed to the process. I sometimes feel that knitting & crocheting gets a bit tight & structured & limited to just the one media - so this was a kind of freeing way to play around with color and texture and design elements.I finished three others using photos from the same envelope. Am going to try to continue using the same photos in other ATCs and see what emerges. Just saw a swap for cow ATC's - this one will qualify there.

I love this photo. My grandmother's smile is the same here as the one I knew when she was much, much older.
The girl's baseball team from my grandmother's high school, Grossmont of San Diego, CA in 1926. Again, I used a bit of knitting using leftover yarn from one of her handknit suits.

No comments: