The retro style of Dr. Scholl's sandals somehow never goes out of style. The wood base provides a perfect base for easy DIY painting. Designs can be retro, modern, streamlined, simple or intricate. Pick a favorite dress from your closet and paint shoes to match. Scroll through our designs for inspiration and see the step by step instructions on how to paint your shoes at the end of the post.
|Pucci inspired paisley in hot colors|
|Just a little bit country|
|Inspired by a bandana, but in a modern color.|
|shades of the same color|
|combining patterns from 2 dresses|
|Use clothes from your closet to inspire your design.|
|a simple repeating pattern works best on the sides|
|The same pattern can be painted in different colorways|
|Soft pink tones coordinate with the clean white straps|
|Hawaiian inspired. Swarovski crystals on the sides add a bit of sparkle|
|The sides can be completely different|
|The same pattern works with different colored strips|
|bold florals in bright colors|
|patterns can be simple and bold|
|soft toned florals|
|flowers look great with stripes|
|Inspired by french toile de jouy fabrics|
|lavendar straps with pake yellow and green design|
|dots are easy to paint|
|bright colored dots and stripes|
|easy to paint dots on the sides|
|zebra stripes flow onto the sides|
What You Need:
A pair of Dr. Scholl's sandals
100-grit sand paper
Acrylic or craft paints
Water based clear coat finish
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Open the clasp on the straps. Using painter's easy-to-remove tape cover the edges and top of the straps& fold them back & tape them to the bottom of the shoes to protect them during painting.
2. Remove the Dr.Scholl's label & lightly sand the wood.
3. Prime the wood using Primer for wood. Let dry as directed on can. Sand lightly.
4. Lightly sketch your design onto the wood. To plan your design you can trace the shoe and play around with your pattern until you come up with something you like.
5. Paint your design. Acrylic or craft paints will both work. Allow to dry completely.
6. When completely dry apply at least 3 coats of clear coat, allowing to dry between coats. You need a good strong finish to protect the shoes from wear.